Since moving to Hilo in 2005 and graduating from the University of Hawaii in 2009, Raina has been a tireless advocate for environmental, social, and economic justice on both the Big Island and Oahu. Her studies in literature, peace and conflict studies, and educational leadership have prepared her well for public service. Additionally, her work and volunteer experience have shown her strong commitment to improving the lives of working class people and her fellow community members. She currently teaches kindergarten at Na’alehu Elementary School and is an active member of Hawaii State Teachers Association. She is running for State House District 5 which runs from Kona to Na’alehu.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree in Spanish Literature, minor in Latin American and Iberian Studies. University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Graduate studies in Peace and Conflict Studies. Matsunaga Institute for Peace, UH Manoa.
- Currently pursuing Master of Science (M.S.) Degree in Educational Leadership at Johns Hopkins School of Education.
- Legal Advocate and AmeriCorps member, Legal Aid Society of Hawaii.
- Union Organizer, Unite Here Local 5.
- Legislative Aide, Office of Senator Russell Ruderman.
- Kindergarten Teacher and Teach for America Corps member, Na’alehu Elementary School.
- Founding member and director of In The Streets, a human rights advocacy organization.
- Environmental advocate, Keep the Country Country, Defend Oahu Coalition.
- Community organizer, Aikea Movement.
Mahalo for your support. To contribute to Raina’s campaign, please donate here: http://bit.do/raina
Please visit Facebook here: Facebook.com/VoteRaina
Please visit Twitter here: twitter.com/VoteRaina
Paid for by Friends of Raina Whiting PO BOX 377534 Ocean View HI 96737